Don’t over-line your lips, and go easy on the setting powder.
Victor Henao is Estee Lauder’s global director of makeup design, and the man behind some of Kendall Jenner’s best looks.
We sat down to talk makeup and Kendall. Here’s what he had to say:
1. Apply your concealer with a fluffy, round, eye shadow brush.
“I get a beautiful, diffused concealer when I use a brush that’s fluffy – it’s like a tiny little airbrush. You can layer a lot when you use this technique rather than dabbing on a full coverage in one go.”
2. When concealing, always apply product under the eyes, around the nose, and around the lips.
3. Apply foundation with your fingers and a foundation brush. Once you’re done, keep the brush close incase you mess up your contour.
“If your contour is too much, or too deep, grab that brush that still has some foundation left on it, to layer and blend the contour away. As for using the fingers, their natural oils and warmth helps foundation go on smoothly.”
4. Always add a touch of bronzer to the eyelid when creating a smoky eye look.
“It’s the best way of making the smoky eye look like it’s part of you. There’s nothing more cringe to me than losing a face behind a layer of makeup, and the addition of bronzer to a dark look brings some life back to the eye.”
5. For a simple smoky eye, line the upper and lower inner rims of your eyelids. Next, line the upper lash line, and blend that colour out over the lid using a small brush.
“Once the liner is diffused out, add an eyeshadow. Whether that’s a colour, brown, or grey, just take that blended shade from the lash line out to the crease of the eye socket.”
6. When it comes to fake lashes, choose short individual lashes rather than long strip lashes.
“It’s all about making the lashes thicker, rather than longer.”
7. And when applying mascara, use a lash comb in between coats to avoid clumping.
“You can apply between 4 and 10 layers, but comb the lashes in between each. I use a clean lash comb or brow groomer.”
8. Line your lips with a shade that’s similar to your natural lip colour, even when applying a bright lipstick.
“By lining with a colour close to your natural lip shade you get a cleaner lip edge and define the shape, before adding lipstick. I don’t over-line with Kendall. I think there’s something really beautiful about people embracing their features. You got smaller lips? Well, you got smaller lips.”
9. When filling in your eyebrows, apply pencil or powder to the bottom of the brow first, keeping this area darkest. The shading at the top of the brow should be lighter.
“I use pencil a lot. I like everything from a waxy pencil to a thick pencil, and I like a powder on top of that. Powder makes the brows look natural, and two different shades of powder help create a natural ombre shade.”
10. If you’re going to invest money in beauty products, start with a range of different foundations.
“It’s important to build a foundation wardrobe, even if you always do the rest of your makeup the same. Get a sheer foundation for every day, and something with a little more coverage for something a little more upscale.”
11. Don’t feel like you have to add powder or bake your makeup every day.
“Real-life makeup and Instagram makeup are so different. I need my makeup to move, because that’s what faces do. I stopped powdering about two years ago. Now, even if Kendall’s a little oily on set, I just let it be. I let her skin look like skin.”